Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rose

I woke up with the sun in my eyes and I was your rose. You loved me and I was beginning to think maybe I loved you too. I was worth the world to you and you were my world. I told you my fears, and you promised them away. I've never been that happy, but I should have known it was ephemeral. I've never felt that way, but it would all be over soon.

I should have seen the storm brewing in your heart. I should have seen that I was not enough to brighten you world. I should have known my life was nothing in comparison to yours and I could never understand. After all, I'm just a stupid flower.

I came back for you and you alone. I'm not happy anywhere. I was miserable there without you and with the way I was mistreated. I was abused and I needed to come back to your love to make it okay again. You ignored my screams for help.

I woke up with rain on my face and I'm not your rose any longer. I'm just a weed ruining your garden and destroying the beauty of your world. It is a good thing you trampled me. You've done the world a service. After all, I'm just a stupid flower.

I've decided that loving you shouldn't make me hate myself. Loving you shouldn't make me wish I were dead. Loving you shouldn't make me cry myself to sleep. Loving you shouldn't make every line in every damn song pierce my heart like a bullet. Loving you shouldn't be this volatile. Loving you shouldn't be this unhealthy. Apparently, loving you is a habit I'll just have to kick. Loving you will be the end of me.

You're lucky love never dies. This rose can handle the weather, weeds, and anything that comes its way. I only wither away if you leave me. I only die with neglect. I'm firmly rooted here forever. I'm not going anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment